I have photographed over 1000 newborn babies since I started Baby Face Photography in 1997. My experience has taught me that newborns photograph best before they are two weeks old. However I offer the newborn style sitting up to 6 weeks of age.
Your baby needs to be asleep in order to get the shots. Sometimes this can take several hours in the studio. I need to be able to manipulate the baby’s position without waking them. A baby who is awake will not maintain the desired pose. It is helpful if you can keep your baby awake for a few hours directly prior to coming to the studio. I realize this can be a difficult task. I have listed a few tips to make the most of your newborn shoot at the bottom of this post.
Tips for keeping baby awake:
Keeping the baby awake is extremely important. This becomes especially necessary when young siblings will be included in the shoot. Some ideas for keeping your baby awake include:
• Stretching out the time between the feedings prior to the shoot
• Burping the baby more frequently than necessary so they don’t fall asleep while eating
It is a good idea to plan on feeding the baby as soon as you arrive in the studio. This will allow you to undress the baby prior to feeding and provide for a smooth transition should the baby fall asleep.
What to bring:
Newborns are tastefully photographed naked. You do not need to bring anything for your baby; however those who plan to be photographed with the baby will need to bring the following:
• White shirts (for images taken with baby on a white backdrop)
• Black shirts (for images taken with baby on a black backdrop)
• If a family shot is desired make sure all family members have the same color shirt (either black or white)
• Dad will need to bring a long sleeved, buttonless, black shirt for the “hand shot” (example in gallery)
Fair haired/skinned people usually photograph best in black, while dark haired/skinned people photograph best in white. It is recommended that siblings where white for their pictures with baby regardless of their hair/skin tone.